|Sick Leave Bank Plan|
The plan of operation prepared by the trustees of each bank shall include but not be limited to the following provisions:
- An employee must have been a member of the bank for 30 calendar days prior to applying for withdrawal of sick leave bank hours.
- Sick leave bank hours will not be granted to new members the first 12 months of membership if the leave is for absence due to a pre-existing illness or condition.
- An employee must exhaust all accumulated sick leave and annual leave, if applicable, prior to receiving bank sick leave.
- Bank sick leave shall not be used for elective surgery, illness or death of any member of the individual's family, or during any period when the individual is receiving disability benefits or Board of Claims (Workers' Compensation) benefits.
- A restriction will be established on the number of hours that may be withdrawn by an individual bank member on account of one illness, particularly an illness known at the time he or she elected to join the bank. Initial grants of bank sick leave to individual bank members shall not exceed the hourly equivalent of 20 consecutive days for which the applicant would have otherwise lost pay. Subsequent grants of bank sick leave shall not exceed the hourly equivalent of 60 days in any fiscal year, or 90 days for any one illness, or recurring diagnosed illness, or accident.
- When a bank member is physically or mentally unable to apply for bank sick leave, the immediate next-of-kin may make a request for bank sick leave on his or her behalf. If there is no next-of-kin available, this request may be made by the legally appointed guardian or conservator or an individual acting under valid power of attorney.
- At any time, the trustees may request from a bank member a physician's statement certifying the illness or condition of the member requesting bank leave. Refusal to submit the certification will result in denial of the request for bank sick leave.
- A bank member shall lose the right to request bank sick leave upon termination of employment, retirement, cancellation of bank membership, refusal or inability to honor the trustees' assessments, and/or going on leave of absence in a non-pay status for reasons other than illness, injury, or disability.
- A bank member may cancel his or her membership at any time upon written notification to the Benefits Office in Human Resources. Assessed sick leave days shall be nonrefundable upon such cancellation and nontransferable upon transfer to another Tennessee Board of Regents institution or area school.
- Employees who are granted bank sick leave shall continue to accrue sick leave and annual leave, if applicable, and service credit for retirement and longevity purposes during the time they are on bank sick leave. Also, they will receive credit for any holidays that may occur during the bank sick leave period.
- Use of sick bank time will be granted only for circumstances that sick leave ordinarily would be granted by the University. Sick bank time may not be used for purposes inconsistent with being on sick leave, i.e., recreation, vacation, etc. Violations may result in the voiding of previously granted sick bank time at the trustees' sole discretion.
- Grants of bank sick leave shall not be contingent upon repayment of hours used or waiver of other employment benefits or rights.
- An annual enrollment period shall be established by the trustees. The trustees shall notify all eligible employees of their eligibility status and the dates of the enrollment period. Enrollment forms and copies of the plan and its regulations shall also be made available at this time.
- All completed official forms shall be forwarded to the Benefits Office in Human Resouces for action.